Welcome to the help pages of Icewind! What is it you're looking for?
The MUD Icewind is now running on a server in Munich/Germany provided by NEONIC. To log on to the world of Icewind use
the following address and port number:
The MUD was running a long time on a server in Norway and originally Icewind
was a norwegian MUD. Now players of many different nationalities are playing in
Icewind - but still, although the MUD has moved to Germany - the norwegian
spirit lasts on... (in the names of the NPCs, the theme and legends and the land
So, you want to start playing in the world of Icewind? You want to become a
legendary hero/heroine and fight for good or evil ;-? No prob, the following
steps will help you to find your way during your first minutes in the dangerous
world of Icewind.
I hope these few steps will help you finding your way into Icewind. And even if
you're alone at the first time you step in it won't take long to find good
- Start telnet or one of the telnet-frontends (you can download some of them
in the download section)
- Open a new connection to 'icewindmud.org' and select the port
(you can also click on the IcewindMud title if you have a windows based
system with TelNet as the default telnet client)
- If everything goes right, you will see the login screen of IceWind and
you'll be prompted for your name. Since you're a new player you can now choose
your characters name. Please choose a fantasy name, nothing that might be
offending and no other unsuitable name (like 'Superman' or 'GeorgeBush').
Anyway, feel free to choose a name you like - if someone feels that it doesn't
fit to the theme/fantasy background of Icewind he'll tell you soon
- Once you entered your name two things may happen. Either you'll be prompted
for your password or for a NEW password. In the first case someone else uses
your chosen name already, so you have to start again and choose another one.
When you're asked for a new password everything's ok and you just need to type
a password (twice).
- So, now you'll be asked a number of questions - you'll surely figure out
what they're for and you're free to create your character like you want it to
- Finally you'll be finished and your brand new character will start the game
at the village square of M'Loria.
- What can you do now with your new life? Best thing will be to type 'help new'.
You'll get a help page with some general information for a new player. You can also read the different command help pages, like 'help mortal' or 'help ghost'. If you want to have more info about
a certain command you can simply type 'help <command>'.
- If you have a colour based telnet (which understands ANSI / VT100 colours,
you can make use of the colour system of Icewind. Simply type 'colour default'
to set up a basic colour scheme. You can change it later manually.
- Another useful thing may be to define some general aliases (short versions
of some commands). For instance you could add a alias for the 'look at' command.
Type 'alias la look at' to create that alias and from now on you can - whenever
you want to take a closer look at something - simply type
- Right now you start playing - or do you just want to talk to other players
first? Type 'chat <message>' to say <message> on the chat channel.
If you want to talk to one player you can use
'tell <name> <message>'.
- If you want to survive in the hostile world of Icewind you'll need to find
equipment, money and experience. For a new player it will be useful to visit the
newbie park in M'Loria which is slightly to the east and north of the village
square. There you'll find your first sword and armour - can you find it?
Moreover you can solve your first quest there. Well, from now on everything is
in your hands - have fun exploring the world of Icewind but always watch out
for mighty creatures (it's wise to keep an eye on your current hitpoints... the
'prompt' command may help you with this).
Have fun and be welcome!
Click here to visit the
(the files there are shareware). You can find there:
You can also use the well known mudclient TinyFugue.
- EditPlus 2.1 - a very good editor (Win95+) for source code of any kind
- zMUD 16 - a freeware mudclient (Windows 3.11+)
- zMUD 4.61 - the next version of the mudclient (Win95+)
- zMUD 5.55 - one of the latest versions of the mudclient (Win95+)
MUD and RPG related links
||Viking MUD is a fantasy MUD similar to Icewind (Icewind 'inherited' the MUDlib of Viking MUD).
||Medieval Times is also a MUD with a fantasy background which evolved from Icewind. With a different combat system and
many small and bigger changes in the MUDlib Medieval Times is now quite
different compared to Icewind. The MUD is still being developed and not yet open
If you want to add a link to our site please choose a banner and create a link
to our page (http://icewindmud.org).
If you want to be added to our link section, please send us an email with your
page URL and short description of the content of your page.
IcewindMUD - Banner - Static - 440x100
more banners will follow...
PS: if you have created a banner yourself don't hesitate to send it - we will
put it on this page at once!